When you decide it’s time to sell your home, you might wonder what to do first. While many sellers ask their friends and neighbors for advice, here’s a step-by-step checklist of what you need to do to sell your house. Let’s get you ready to sell!
1. CleanYou’ll want your home to give potential buyers a good first impression. Not only can a dirty home distract buyers from appreciating your home’s best features, but it can also give the impression that you haven’t taken care of bigger maintenance and upkeep tasks.
2. InspectMany sellers choose to pay for their own pre-inspection. A home inspector will take a thorough look at your home’s structural components, major systems, and appliances, and report back on any issues that may be red flags to potential buyers. A pre-inspection can help you prioritize any repairs that need to be done and direct you toward a reasonable sales price.
3. Repair and touch upEven if you don’t have any major repairs that need to be taken care of, it’s important to go through your home and complete any minor repairs you’ve been putting off. Patching holes, repairing trim, and repainting can make a big difference.
4. AppraiseYou may also choose to get an appraisal of your home. A big part of the process of selling a house is deciding on a list price, and having an objective, professional opinion on the value of your home can be helpful.
5. StageThere are two ways to stage your home. First, you can simply declutter, remove personal effects like family photos, and arrange furniture in a way that highlights your home’s best attributes. Or, you can hire a professional stager. Either way, the goal is to help potential buyers picture themselves living in the home.
6. Price When you’re working with me, you can rely on my expertise to guide you to an accurate list price. I'll start by providing you a comparative market analysis (CMA, commonly known as comps). I’ll be able to really hone in on the fair market value.
7. Market I use professional photography and arrange and pay for this service. Once you have the photos done, I will go full steam ahead, advertising your listing online, on social media, via word of mouth, and around the neighborhood. I will go into more detail of my marketing strategy once we meet.